Apex Legends Crossplay has finally come to Apex Legends in beta form. Here’s everything you need to know about this new feature, including how it works, how to disable it, and more.
At one point, many people thought that playing an online game with your friends on another console was an impossible dream. Now, crossplay is slowly becoming the norm in many titles in the industry. However, one of the main titles that did not have that feature for a long time was Apex Legends. Fortunately, during EA Play, the developers announced that this would change, and that cross-play would be coming to battle royale!
Apex Legends Crossplay: Add friends On PC, Xbox, and PlayStation
Apex Legends crossplay, what is it?
For those gamers who are not used to these terms, crossover play is a feature that permits users with different platforms to play together. For example, all PS4 gamers will be able to play Apex Legends with friends for Xbox One and even on PC if they wanted to. That being said, there are a few things to clarify on how to play Apex Legends in crossplay.
Before the crossplay feature came about, a player could only play with other users using the same platform. Now, all console users will play together, while PC gamers will continue to play only with other PC players. In this way, developers want to ensure that keyboard and mouse gamers won’t interfere with those who can only (or almost all) use the driver.
If a PS4 or Xbox One gamer is linked or paired with a PC player, they must be included in the team prior to matchmaking in order to locate them in the game.
How does Apex Legends crossplay work?
By default, PC players will only pair with PC players in normal matchmaking, while console players will only pair with each other. That being said, the consoles can continue to play with the PC if they wish, but they have to be in a group together before starting the matchmaking. After that, the game will include PC players in the search party.
How to add friends on PC, Xbox, PlayStation
Finding people to play with on other platforms is relatively easy, all you need to connect with players on other platforms is to know their in-game name. After you have their name, just open the Friends menu from the main lobby screen, tap on the “Find Friend” option, and search for their name.
Gamers can search for a username from any platform and send a friend request. The invited player will receive a notification to accept, reject or block the friend request. Blocking a request will not only deny the specific request but will also prevent you from receiving any from that gamer in the future. The game will automatically search for any player having that name on any system. After looking for another player, you will need to click on the username that matches the platform they are playing on.
- To add a friend on any platform, head to the friends menu and tap on “Find friends”. You can search by username on any platform and ask for a friend request.
- The invited gamer will receive a notification in the lobby to accept, decline or block the incoming friend request. By blocking a friend request, you will not only reject it, but you will also stop other requests or cross-platform invitations from this gamer in the future. In the menu to search for friends you can search for users and unblock them.
- In the friends menu you will see all your friends and the platform they play on. If you play console, friends on the same platform will be marked with a PlayStation or Xbox icon, depending on the platform you are on. Gamers on the other console will be indicated by a generic controller icon.
- When you have friends, you can begin a game invite in the friends menu. For cross-play invites, the team invitation will come up on the lobby screen so you can become a part of the party. While joining team invites from the same platform, simply use the default notifications you already know (Origin game invites or Xbox notification).
- Cross-platform teams can use in-game voice chat.
How to disable Apex Legends crossplay
The crossover is activated automatically, so you don’t have to do anything from the beginning if you want to play with people from other platforms. That being said, if you don’t want to participate in the beta, the option to activate and deactivate can be found in the settings menu. However, this creates the possibility of longer wait times, as you are effectively restricting the pool of players the game can search for. That being said, the option is there if you want it.
The ability to enable and disable crossplay will be in the setup menu, but it is enabled by default.
Is cross progression enabled for the game?
Although this is something that is apparently being considered by Respawn, the feature is not currently enabled in Apex Legends, so if you want to play on another console, you will not have any of the items that you have previously unlocked.
All in all, this looks like a great beta and an opportunity to get feedback from the community.